Minnesota Workers' Compensation System Employee Information Sheet

What does workers' compensation pay for?

  • Medical care for the work injury, as long as it is reasonable and necessary
  • Wage-loss benefits for part of your lost income (there is a three-calendar-day waiting period for these benefits to start
  • Benefits for permanent damage or loss of function of a body part
  • Benefits to your spouse and/or dependents if you die of a work injury
  • Vocational rehabilitation services if you cannot return to your pre-injury job or to your pre-injury employer
How are workers' compensation benefits paid?

Your workers' compensation benefits are paid by an insurance company or your employer, if your employer is self-insured. State law sets the benefit levels. Please note: pursuant to statute, the insurer can obtain medical information specific to your work injury without your authorization.

If the insurer accepts your claim for wage loss benefits and you have been disabled for more than three calendar days:

  • The insurer will send you a copy of the Notice of Insurer's Primary Liability Determination for stating your claim is accepted.
  • The insurer must start paying wage-loss benefits within 14 days of the date your employer knows about your work injury and lost wages. The insurer must pay benefits on time. Wage-loss benefits are paid at the same intervals as your work paychecks.
If the insurer denies your claim for wage loss benefits:
  • The insurer will send you a copy of the Notice of Insurer's Primary Liability Determination form stating it is denying primary liability for your claim. The form must clearly explain the facts and reasons why the insurer believes your injury or illness did not result from your work.
  • If you disagree with the denial, you should talk with the insurance claims adjuster who is handling your claim. Your employer's insurance company can answer most questions about your claim.
    Insurer name: ____________________________________
    Phone: _________________________
  • If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the insurer and still disagree with the denial, you should contact the Department of Labor & Industry at one of the numbers listed below to see what to do next.
If you have other questions or need more help, call the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry Workers' Compensation Hotline:

Twin Cities and Southern Minnesota:
(651) 297-4377 or 1-800-342-5354
TTY (651) 297-4198

Duluth and Northern Minnesota:
(218) 723-4670 or 1-800-365-4584

Your call will be answered by experienced workers' compensation specialists, who will provide instant, accurate information and assistance. Additional workers' compensation information is available on the department's Web site at www.doli.state.mn.us.

Your employer is required by law to give you this information. This material can be made available in different formats, such as large print, Braille or on audio tape, by calling the numbers printed above.

Copyright © 2004 Hokeness Rehabilitation Consulting, LLC - All Rights Reserved